MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Sunday, September 25, 2011

the race: run like a champion by Sammy Tippit ch. 3

Ch. 3 Pursuing the Dream

p. 33 "Even as an adult, I'd been focusing on the end result instead of the journey. I decided then to make my dream a lifestyle, not a destination. Holly Hight in Running Times magazine"

I want to run, but I struggle with the discipline. Sammy mentions on pg. 34 that "without the dream, discipline becomes too painful, and life too difficult. But with the right kind of dream, nothing is impossible."

What's my dream? I want to run. Right now that is a dream because of my weight. I have worked through the C25K running plan in conjunction with Run for God. I discovered I can do more than I thought. But my running gait was more of a shuffle. I want to start the program again (and actually got through 2 wks worth), but without accountability I stop.

When the group ended in May, my accountability ended. I stopped making my running time a priority. A change in the season also effects things. But I can't say that just because summer is over my running time ends. I started this in February. While working. But something about going into fall and it getting darker and darker has me not wanting to get out. I also stopped running as much when my dog could no longer go with me. I so enjoyed have Sophie go with me to Booker T. Washington State Park for my running. I enjoyed seeing her progress in how long she could stay with me. As an older dog, she struggled and when she couldn't keep going, I would hook her leash to a parking sign in a shaded grassy area of the park's nearly empty parking lot, and then just run back and forth in her view. But one day she fell (apparently had bone cancer and we didn't know) and she just couldn't recover. She limped from that day forward, preventing her from going with me. I can't get my boys to join me. I don't have a friend who can easily join me anymore. So I let these reasons become obstacles that I don't battle. I let them win and don't even think about battling them, overcoming them.

My dream seems to be an end product (losing weight so I can run more easily) and I need to look at the journey. The journey includes overcoming obstacles.

No comments: